Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Farm Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 15:46

The barbarian farm was not originally slated for a remodel, only to have a floor texture added ( see Bug #615777 ).

Once I started working on it, however, and knowing the model must be re-rendered anyway, I felt it is a golden opportunity to add missing animation for the build, idle and working cycles. I've also added an unoccupied graphic for while the building sits vacant and awaits the arrival of its worker.

So here is what I've created using the original model and the standard rendering stage. You will note that the standard rendering stage corrects the camera angle and lighting. I did nothing to change the wood or sod roof material itself other than adjust positions here and there and create some interior structure to show in the build cycle.

old old new idle i new working w

I've added a wood plank floor, fireplace and interior lighting to the living section of the building and a dirt floor to the storage area and in front of the doors. Oh, yes, I added doors, too. face-grin.png

In consideration of what I did with the barn, I plan to do pretty much the same with the remaining floor-less buildings.

Yes, there is smoke in the chimney during the idle AND working cycles. The farmer must stay warm and cook his own meals you know. Besides, you can still see the farmer working in the fields and the wheat in the barn during the working cycle. face-wink.png

I'll be pushing this to trunk once I've made any adjustments to the hot spot that may be needed, but I'd still like to hear any comments. Nothing is permanent after all. face-smile.png

Edited to add link to bug report.

Edited: 2015-02-06, 15:54

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 16:04

Maybe add the new roof adornments that we have on the tavern and warehouse?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 16:56

Player color on a farm? Well, I guess if you're going to do something at the well (or the farm in this case), you should try to go only once. face-smile.png

I'll brighten up the end beams or "horns" or whatever they are called. Which raises the question, "What ARE they called?" face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 18:11

chuckw wrote: I'll brighten up the end beams or "horns" or whatever they are called. Which raises the question, "What ARE they called?" face-grin.png

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pferdek%C3%B6pfe_%28Giebelschmuck%29

I haven't been able to find an English term for Giebelschmuck. Gable adornments?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 18:56

The closest single word seems to be "finial", but that would refer to any embellishment at the top of a roof (or similar structure).

The japanese actually have a word for it ("chigi"), and a google search on "forked roof finial" has the first five hits all be for chigis.

EDIT: Gable adornment doesn't work; that apparently refers to decorations underneath the gable itself.

Edited: 2015-02-06, 19:00

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-06, 20:54

Why an 'external' chimney and hearth again?

You would prefer standart inner hearth and chimney on a roof face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-07, 02:10

Tibor wrote:

Why an 'external' chimney and hearth again?

Why not? face-grin.png

You would prefer standart inner hearth and chimney on a roof :)

I prefer to show the visually interesting stonework outside the building. I could much more easily just pop a chimney through the roof or poke a smoke hole in it and be done with it. Why go through all the labor of modeling a fireplace/hearth only to show it for a brief moment during the build cycle and then hide the bulk of it for the rest of the game? That is, of course assuming we want to see the buildings go up in stages. Which I'm committed to. A good part of my designing and modeling goes into presenting a semi-reasonable glimpse of the inside of the buildings as they are being built.

WHO KNOWS why the barbarians build the way they do? Who knows HOW they can build with balls for hands. face-grin.png My aim is to convey the "idea" of the buildings within the very confining scale they must be presented in the game. Where I can, I try to be faithful to the IDEA of a particular building. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I don't, but I'm constantly wrestling with how to best present a visual element in the game that will convey its identity in a mere glance.

Confess, how often do you pause to inspect the detail of a building, or ship, or whatever, when you are in the middle of managing your tribe for a successful game? When it is first introduced perhaps, but after that most are satisfied with just being able to identify it "at a glance" while they are in the thick of things.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-07, 02:18

GunChleoc wrote:

chuckw wrote: I'll brighten up the end beams or "horns" or whatever they are called. Which raises the question, "What ARE they called?" face-grin.png

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pferdek%C3%B6pfe_%28Giebelschmuck%29

I haven't been able to find an English term for Giebelschmuck. Gable adornments?

I LIKE "Giebelschmuck". I think I'll add that to my vocabulary. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-07, 02:22

DragonAtma wrote:

The closest single word seems to be "finial", but that would refer to any embellishment at the top of a roof (or similar structure).

The japanese actually have a word for it ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chigi_%28architecture%29]"chigi"[/url]), and a google search on [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=forked+roof+finial&tbm=isch]"forked roof finial"[/url] has the first five hits all be for chigis.

EDIT: Gable adornment doesn't work; that apparently refers to decorations underneath the gable itself.

"Chigi" is short and sweet and sort of strikes me like "thingy". face-grin.png I don't know. I think "Giebelschmuck" says it all. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-07, 02:45

Here is the farm with Player Color.

idle i working w

I see little people.

Top Quote