Latest Posts

Topic: Translations have been Moved to Transifex

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 14:06

As discussed in this bug we are considering moving to Transifex, because that would help translators to recover translations when we have string changes without using an off-line tool.

I have set up a test project on Transifex so you can all have a look at what the interface looks like. Feel free to sign up give it a try. I have locked the translations though for the time being - please continue to work on Launchpad for now.

This is open to discussion, so any feedback/ideas are welcome face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-02-03, 14:16

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 14:37

Could you please enable the translations? I would like to see that interface, and how the fuzzy string feature works.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 15:08

OK, I'll enable the Widelands template. You probably won't see anything fuzzy there though, because this is a fresh upload of the souce file without any changes.

I plan to create a project fo Build 18 too, to see if we can get some fuzzy strings from there.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 16:09

I have played around a bit with the translation and I like the interface. It is quite intuitive and there a lot of keyboard shortcuts that make working faster.

There is also a comment section (a feature I have missed at Launchpad) where we can write if there is something special about the string.

A question: I have created a glossary entry for "Players" (string 27) in the German translation. Can you see it and change it?

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 17:41

wl-zocker wrote:

A question: I have created a glossary entry for "Players" (string 27) in the German translation. Can you see it and change it?

Yes, I can. We might use these to replace the translation Dictionaries in the Wiki.

Edited: 2015-02-03, 17:43

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 18:26

We might use these to replace the translation Dictionaries in the Wiki.

Exactly my thought.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-04, 22:06

I have now uploaded all languages for the main file, both for Build 18 and current trunk, so you can go play. Please keep in mind that any translations you make will be overwritten by an import from Launchpad once we have decided to move.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-04, 23:05

Well, the fuzzy string feature is not as good as the one from Virtaal. At least with the short strings I have checked until now I noticed two issues:

• Transifex recommends me very fuzzy strings (down to 60%, however that is calculated) which means that sometimes, one of two words is the same, and the second one is completely different.
  • When I want to see the difference in the source string, the whole word is displayed twice, although in many cases, only the capitalization is different. Additionally, leading spaces are not shown (Launchpad does that), which means that two strings appear equal until you click on that tiny button.

Today, I noticed that the comment section is for all languages. That is both good and bad (I cannot write stuff that is exclusively for German there). And it is nice that you get an e-mail when your name is mentioned there.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-08, 08:44

We have decided to go ahead with this. Expect an official announcement soon face-smile.png

At the moment, we're still double-checking the programming side, but everything seems to be working fine.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-08, 17:45

Here's a copy of the announcement that we just posted:

Translations to be moved to Transifex

Back in 2010, Widelands decided to move away from SourceForge which had hosted the game’s development for the first 8 years of its existence. Launchpad was chosen as a new and very prominent platform over GitHub mainly for its superior bug tracker and the ability to have Widelands being translated by drive by contributors in the web frontend.

However, development of Widelands means constantly tweaking and changing our strings - be it just by fixing typos or changing some words around - and Launchpad made for a frustrating experience with this: it would not recognize “fuzzy” matches, i.e. if you change one character in a string, the translations would be thrown away completely and the string marked as new and untranslated.

Translators have voiced frustration, but web translation was providing so many more good translated strings than the offline process we had before and there was just nothing better around at the time. However, we have now found a more suitable platform with which we can address this issue: Transifex. So, we have decided to move our translation effort off Launchpad.

Transifex is a professional tool for translating software which is free for open source projects. It offers us plenty of nice features that makes collaborative translating easier:

Online Translation Memory with Fuzzy Matches

With Transifex, we will get our own translation memory that will display similar strings below the string a translator is currently translating, and the differences between the strings can be flagged up. There is also a percentage shown as to how good the match is. Translations can then be recovered with a single mouse click and edited as needed. We are also uploading the Build 18 translations to give translators a baseline to work from.

Working Offline and Source Code Integration

Translators will be able to instantly download translation files as well if they prefer to work offline and then upload them again. The new and updated translations will appear immediately. From the programming side, we will also be able to automatically update templates and pull the new translations as before.

Glossary

Transifex also offers a glossary function, so we have started moving our Translation Dictionaries over there. The entries have to be added manually though, and we’ll try to copy everything over for you from our wiki before we do the switch. If you prefer to work offline, you can download a glossary table for your chosen language.

Translating Widelands is a time consuming and difficult task and we appreciate that so many community members put so much time into this task (Thank you!!!). Changing and adding strings is a necessary evil in developing the game and will not stop - but with our move to Transifex, we hope that we will make translating Widelands less frustrating and more fun and rewarding.

The move is planned for sometime next weekend. We encourage all our translators to sign up now, so you can have a look around. The new translation templates (called “Resources”) can be found on Transifex. If you have a GitHub, Google, LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter account, you can also use that instead of specifically signing up for Transifex.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote