Topic: New roads

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 13:08

wl-zocker wrote:

I think the algorithm is as follows: When x wares had to wait, request a second carrier. When y wares were transported immediately without the need for a second carrier, release it. It therefore takes some time until the road changes its appearance. If a busy road is not used at all (or very seldom), it stays busy for a long time.

And i thought, its also depended on the time a carrier stoud still (has nothing to do). I sometimes wondering why the road doesn't change although the carrier walks unrestless back and forth face-grin.png

Edited: 2015-01-24, 13:08

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-24, 13:19

Sorry, wrong klick....

Edited: 2015-01-24, 13:20

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 11:18

Here are my finished roads. For each tribe i will make a new post, beginning here with Empire tribe:

Patterns:

normal road This pattern has new endings which makes roadcorners more smooth (not in all cases, but often). Making it 12 pixel wide smothes the wave a bit and prevent the graphics failure.

busy road This one is a bit darker as the previous ones. I tried to use colors which are found on buildings with size medium or big. Some of the stones have a transparency, so they look a bit different depending on the terrain.

Using busy roads as houseroads:
busy house roads

The roads on different terrain:
roads

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 11:30

Babarian tribe:

Patterns:

normal road I added more pebbles to help distinguish this road on some terrains. This pattern has a width of 12 pixel too.

busy road The main coloring is taken from some of the roofs of big buildings. Some pieces gets transparence. On bright terrains it looks a bit edgy, but i think its ok.

busy house roads

roads

Edited: 2015-01-27, 11:48

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 11:41

Atlantean tribe:

Patterns:

normal road I colored the endings like the flagbasis. This will make it more harmonic in general view.

busy road It's kind of a mosaik. Not wonder about the shorten length, in this case it gets a bit strechted and looks better in the game. The endings are greater displayed as the endings of the normal pattern. The middle has transparence...

busy house roads

roads

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 14:24

GunChleoc wrote:

SirVer wrote:

I propose a third one: if the flag of a building has a busy road attached use a busy road, otherwise use a normal road.

The road code is a bit tricky with lots of bitwise manipulation. I would need to change the north-west road for a flag that has a building, but there are only constants for east, south-east and south-west available.

Would not the south-east constant serve for a north-west road and similarly for the other directions?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 14:52

@kaputtnik - You do have a good eye for these roads. I like all three sets and the empire busy road does look better with the darker pattern IMHO. You have created textures that are both harmonic and yet in most cases have enough contrast with the many terrains as to be distinguishable hopefully even to the color-blind.

In that regard, I would ask any readers of the forum who have some color-blindness to please comment on your impressions of this work. This is your golden opportunity to improve your gaming experience with Widelands. face-smile.png

I think the use of the flag base (where applicable) at section ends is a good idea, but I would caution against increasing the size of the junction points to any great degree. Many of the building graphics (especially the larger buildings) use virtually every available pixel of area between its surrounding road paths or at least come right up against the roads in some places.

I highly approve the use of textures found in each tribe's architecture in the roads. It adds that much more continuity in the scene.

Great work!

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 15:09

chuckw wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

SirVer wrote:

I propose a third one: if the flag of a building has a busy road attached use a busy road, otherwise use a normal road.

The road code is a bit tricky with lots of bitwise manipulation. I would need to change the north-west road for a flag that has a building, but there are only constants for east, south-east and south-west available.

Would not the south-east constant serve for a north-west road and similarly for the other directions?

No, they are not reversible. I guess I'll have to iterate over all existing roads until I find the one where the south-east one is the current flag to be tested. Not very efficient. I'd say we go for normal roads with small buildings and busy roads for the rest and see how it looks. We can always add the more complicated code later.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 15:12

For testing for how it looks with color blindness: http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 21:31

GunChleoc wrote:

... I'd say we go for normal roads with small buildings and busy roads for the rest and see how it looks. We can always add the more complicated code later.

I'm amenable to that.

For testing for how it looks with color blindness: http://colorfilter.wickline.org/

That is a great site. I tested this page with its filters and I'm happy to say the roads are distinguishable in all cases.

I see little people.

Top Quote