Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Warehouse Remodel

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 07:08

I like #2 , mainly because the darker look makes it look less modern to me and that meshes better with the barbarians in my mind. also I prefer less player color - otherwise it looks quite circuisy to me. I see that the view angle of the buildings is different. Is it the correct one?

It is great to see you back in action again.

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 08:18

I do like the playercolor usage, #2 is really great. Welcome back chuck!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 15:03

SirVer wrote:

I like #2 , mainly because the darker look makes it look less modern to me and that meshes better with the barbarians in my mind. also I prefer less player color - otherwise it looks quite circuisy to me.

Yes, #1 is a bit over the top, especially for the barbarians. I could see the empire doing something like that though. face-grin.png

I see that the view angle of the buildings is different. Is it the correct one?

I will triple-check face-wink.png the stage settings, but the camera and light angles should be the same as that used on the rest of the models I have created. I was not surprised by this because I have found similar discrepancies with most, if not all, of the original barbarian buildings. While I am thinking of it, I'll check the stage settings in those original blender files that we do have and, if necessary, re-render those models to match the standard. A bug report will be generated if any are found.

It is great to see you back in action again.

Thanks! It's good to be splashing color bits on monitors again. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 15:05

Tino wrote:

I do like the playercolor usage, #2 is really great. Welcome back chuck!

Thanks, Tino! I really did miss hanging out with the Widelands crowd. face-smile.png It's feels good to be back. Hey, didn't I warn you this might happen? face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 15:34

My work is not done on this yet. I have a sample #3 coming that borrows a lot of its elements from the barbarian barrier building which shares a similar design. Believe it or not, the size that some of these structures attained has only recently dawned on me.

Sample #2 I envision would be 6-7 meters (20+ feet) high for example, maybe more.

Aside from that, the modeling technique is different between the barrier model and Samples #1&2. In the barrier and a lot of my earlier models, where you see a log there is actually a model of a log not just a material that looks like logs. That technique (which stemmed mostly from my inexperience with 3D modeling) results in a very complicated and vertex-intensive model. Yet it yields a model that can be constructed like a real building with elements that can be shared across many models to provide a more consistent look to the collection of buildings in this case. You wouldn't believe how many elements (i.e. parts) are in the atlantean ship model, for example. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-16, 22:49

Sample #2 looks good; my only concern is that while the wood in that one is so weathered it's grey, the wood in other buildings is a fresh brown/orange.

Also, the rotation of the samples seems to be off. Fortunately, a bit of rotation (say, using the original building's camera location & look_at) should fix that. face-wink.png

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-01-17, 00:33

Like the others I also like #2. Especially the crossing beams (I don't know if that's the right word) at the top of the roof are a nice feature face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-17, 23:04

DragonAtma wrote:

Sample #2 looks good; my only concern is that while the wood in that one is so weathered it's grey, the wood in other buildings is a fresh brown/orange.

Also, the rotation of the samples seems to be off. Fortunately, a bit of rotation (say, using the original building's camera location & look_at) should fix that. face-wink.png

Thanks for your comments, DragonAtma and fuchur.

I tweaked the Sample #2 and present here Sample #3 #3 with the original warehouse for comparison old

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-18, 05:24

Looking good!

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players