Topic: [New article] WikiHelp

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-04, 17:31

I've created a new article: WikiHelp

Please revise, misses something? Maybe the text has to be corrected...

There is an article UploadingImagesInTheWiki which contents i have merged with the new one. So this article should be redirect to WikiHelp

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-12-04, 17:51

You never mention that I have to click on a button to upload the image. That should be included somewhere.

I do not understand this line: It is currently not possible for everybody to remove an image once it is uploaded, so only add images you know you need to use!

• "not possible for everybody": 'Should that be "for anybody"? Or can only the webmaster delete images (rephrase: "images can only be deleted by ...")?
  • "images you know you need to use": Although they are unnecessary, I use them. "need" sounds harmless to me. Better: "images that are essential for the understanding of the article" or something like that.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-04, 19:03

wl-zocker wrote:

You never mention that I have to click on a button to upload the image. That should be included somewhere.

Oh, forgotton face-sad.png -> done

I do not understand this line: It is currently not possible for everybody to remove an image once it is uploaded, so only add images you know you need to use!

This was just a copy and paste from the other article.

• "not possible for everybody": 'Should that be "for anybody"?

done

Or can only the webmaster delete images (rephrase: "images can only be deleted by ...")?

Yes, i think so. In my local copy of the website-branch i could delete any image because i do have the rights. This should also be possible here. But sometimes it took a lot of time to search and delete such images and the webmaster(s) have maybe no time to spend on this. So if there is nobody who cares about deleting pictures, it make no sense to write your suggestion.

• "images you know you need to use": Although they are unnecessary, I use them. "need" sounds harmless to me. Better: "images that are essential for the understanding of the article" or something like that.

With my experience on wikiworking i could tell you: An image is fast uploaded and afterwards you see that was the wrong image (e.g. mistakend name, wrong type, wrong size), or after working further with an article, you decide to choose another image. So, as an author of articles, you should be strongly warned to only upload images "you know you need to use". But we could also write:

"images that are essential for the understanding of the article"

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-04, 20:20

Good work - I'll do a proofreading round once it is finished.

Maybe we should also mention that some pages can't be edited, because they are generated automatically? Something like this:

"If you don't see an edit link, you are either not logged in, or this page was generated automatically and can't be edited."

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-06, 00:20

GunChleoc wrote: Maybe we should also mention that some pages can't be edited, because they are generated automatically? Something like this:

"If you don't see an edit link, you are either not logged in, or this page was generated automatically and can't be edited."

Good point face-smile.png -> Done

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-06, 11:13

I have now proofread the article. Feel free to revert any changes that you don't like.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-12-06, 12:11

Many thanks. I have corrected a typo and added a Link to WikiSyntax#links_and_images.

Top Quote