Latest Posts

Topic: Button "next" in Building window

kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-12, 23:40

If i click on a building a window appears. This window should have a Button "next" to point on the next building of the same cathegorie.

Example: 1. Clicking on a colemine 2. In the popupwindow click on "next" to show the next colemine

This button should display all colemines, regardless of they are active or to be build.

In my opinion, the button show/hide "Workingplace" (sorry, don't know the word in english- the button to disable the area that the building needs to work 100%) is needless. So this button could be changed in the "next"-button described above.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 00:24

You can use the buiding menu window (at the bottom of your screen: statistics menu, and in that window building menu), to cycle through all buildings of the same type. The problem is that the building window contains already much buttons and there is no space for another one.

I do not think that the "Work area" button is useless. Two and a half situations where I find it handy:

• Headquarters: I sometimes keep the headquarters open to check the wares inside (and how they change). The work area disturbs me when I want to look at something in the vicinity of the headquarters, so I switch it off.
  • Overlap of mines (or similar): When I build a new mine, its work area (ideally) should not overlap with other mines' work area. However, it is impossible to see whether the work areas overlap or only touch.
  • Overlap of military buildings: When I want to check which military sites I can destroy without having unprotected territory, I also often have to toggle several buildings' conquer area on and off. This is basically the same case as for the mines, but also very different in some way, therefore worth half a situation.

Btw, buildings do not need their whole workarea for 100% productivity. It only indicates the maximum range your workers walk/the building conquers. I think a farm can work on four fields with 100%.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 09:25

Thanks for your reply face-smile.png

You can use the buiding menu window (at the bottom of your screen: statistics menu, and in that window building menu), to cycle through all buildings of the same type.

Yes, i know this. But it takes a lot of time to find the building i want to search for.

The problem is that the building window contains already much buttons and there is no space for another one.

Because such windows has tabs (like wares/workers) it would be possible to make an additional tab "statistik" which could store some information (e.g. productivity) and such a button.

I do not think that the "Work area" button is useless. Two and a half situations where I find it handy:

Yes, you are right face-smile.png

Btw, buildings do not need their whole workarea for 100% productivity. It only indicates the maximum range your workers walk/the building conquers. I think a farm can work on four fields with 100%.

Oh, good to know face-smile.png

Edited: 2014-11-13, 09:27

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 16:05

The workers tab would have enough space for previous/next buttons. It is a lot bigger than the wares tab, so I think it wouldn't be a problem to make the workers tab bigger to fit the new buttons.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 17:41

GunChleoc wrote:

The workers tab would have enough space for previous/next buttons. It is a lot bigger than the wares tab, so I think it wouldn't be a problem to make the workers tab bigger to fit the new buttons.

I've made a mockup :

next Button in Workers-tab

The "Previous" tooltip is added as example.

But the workers-tab should IMHO not show any non-related workers stuff. So this would be a workaround... If my idea gets some "+1" i will try to make a mockup for an additional "statistic" tab face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 18:16

The buttons on the bottom are the same for all tabs, and we should keep it that way. Your mockup is exactly what I was thinking.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 18:16

As far as I can see, the buttons in the lowermost row are always there, no matter which tab is selected. Therefore, adding them would make the input wares window wider.

An additional statistics tab is an interesting idea. If you have some ideas what to put there, please make a mockup. An idea is to make an "Information about all buildings of this type" tab (better name needed, of course), which could show similar information to the building statistics window (productivity of this building vs. average) and the jump to next/previous button. The question is whether we want such general information in the building window of the buildings or whether they should stay "unique" in the statistics menu.

But it takes a lot of time to find the building i want to search for.

You can click on the header to sort them accordingly, e.g. alphabetically, it that helps you.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 19:41

I like the mockup very much face-smile.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 20:56

Ok, heres a new mockup containing a new statistic-tab:

statistic tab

The first row contains productivity for actual mine / average of this mine type and the buttons for previous/next.

The second row shows the status, the tooltip that is shown if the mouse moves over a building. I have tried to find a long string to be sure it fits the place. This was my first thought, but i am not sure if this should be shown here. In different languages the place could be not enough or its problematic to space the words to a new line. Alternatively at this place could be shown:

• count of buildings of this type
  • count of buildings to be build
  • ?

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 21:06

I would omit status, make second line with:

count of all buildings, average performance and arrows "previous/next"