Latest Posts

Topic: Constructing a trainingscamp

Horatio

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 13:40

"SirVer has not mentioned wheat problems in this thread."

Not explicitly but implicitly. He has mentioned strong beer being required to get barbarian evasion training going ... and anybody who ever played barbarians knows that getting a lvl2 brewer trained is not the binding resource whereas wheat (which you also need in abudance for bread) is.

"However, when gold is available, this change would only hurt barbarians (one more worker to be trained..)"

"This would be a small advantage for the barbarians in early game, especially if Bootcamp would require no gold to build, and of course it would mean that there is again one more upgrade to do."

You might wanna make up your mind about whether the bootcamp is (supposed to be) an asset or a liability for the barbarians. If you do not even have any idea about what the purpose of a suggested change is it is fair to say that this suggestion is highly dubious (especially if, as I have already pointed out, you can simulate the bootcamp closely enough via manually kicking soldiers out).

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 15:23

You might wanna make up your mind

Silly question. You are asking for implementation detail of something that has not been committed to development branch yet.

I have have playtested this modification. I think it is unfair to call it dubious.

Top Quote
Horatio

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-03-16, 11:20

If you wanna change a game you MUST have an idea. Just wanting to change something because it sounds cute without having any idea about the purpose of this very change is totally pointless. Of course one's theoretical ideas can turn out to be totally wrong empirically but you nonetheless need to have an idea.

By the way, calling the criticism of lack of ideas silly is involuntarily self-ironical.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-16, 12:29

Gentlemen, this is just bantering at this point in time. This does not suite people of your caliber.

I agree that teppo's idea meshes well with the design of the barbarians (that have cheap basic buildings that need enhancing all the time). However, we have no idea how it will affect balance (opinions in both directions have been voiced). It is also clear that there is no clear pro or contra against this change, i.e. it does not fix immediate problems. I am not willing to spend much more time on this idea now - it seems controversial and will not affect the great scheme of things anyways. So it seems better to not include it to me. If someone fees strongly about it, a branch should be made and a bunch of games should be played. Then we have more information and can revisit.

Top Quote