Latest Posts

Topic: Big upcoming string changes

wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-14, 19:58

Concerning the house/hut problem: I see your point that it adds some flavour. It is only a bit hard to keep it consistent when writing scenarios or doing the translation. But since that is only done once, it is not worth starting a discussion. (Problem in German is that the Atlanteans' "house" is translated to "Hütte" (hut), while the Empire's buildings are "Häuser" (houses). But I think the people who did this had some intention.)

https://translations.launchpad.net/widelands/trunk/+pots/tribe-barbarians/de/333/+translate The output goes also to the weaver. This string is only to give some additional information about the construction site output. The weaving mill output is shown separately. So, translate as is.

You are right, I checked what it looks like in the game. I was only a bit confused by this "only".

Two more issues:

• The folders are still labelled in the old way (e.g. the gardener's files can be found in the folder "ferner"). To avoid inconsistencies, it would be nice to rename them (though I do not know if that is so simple).
  • In the version r6851, when I change the speed, I do not get the numbers, but the placeholders (%1$u.%2$ux for normal speed >1; %1$s (%2$s) if the game is paused). Has this to do something with the new strings?

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-14, 20:35

Two more issues:

• The folders are still labelled in the old way (e.g. the gardener's files can be found in the folder "ferner"). To avoid inconsistencies, it would be nice to rename them (though I do not know if that is so simple).

We actually have a lot of those already, e.g bakingtray = bread paddle. I just left them alone for now, because I don't know what the implications for the code are. Changing these will break old savegames, so I better leave that decision to the main devs.

• In the version r6851, when I change the speed, I do not get the numbers, but the placeholders (%1$u.%2$ux for normal speed >1; %1$s (%2$s) if the game is paused). Has this to do something with the new strings?

This should already be fixed in trunk. Which build + operating system are you using?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 09:52

GunChleoc wrote:

Two more issues:

We actually have a lot of those already, e.g bakingtray = bread paddle. I just left them alone for now, because I don't know what the implications for the code are. Changing these will break old savegames, so I better leave that decision to the main devs.

Reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1292799

This should already be fixed in trunk. Which build + operating system are you using?

I use the bzr6851 from Tino's site (http://widelands.8-schuss.de/), but this version is not up-to-date. I will report that issue when I see it in a newer version.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 10:24

Thanks, I have commented on the bug.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 10:59

The new phases for the trees (sapling, pole, mature, old) do not really fit, e.g., a matured tree can be felled, you won't wait until it gets old. Btw, I have never seen these names in the game.

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 12:09

fk wrote:

The new phases for the trees (sapling, pole, mature, old) do not really fit, e.g., a matured tree can be felled, you won't wait until it gets old. Btw, I have never seen these names in the game.

Agreed. The old ones were okay, there was no need for this change imo. Besides, I have no clue what pole means in this sense (perhaps pole-sized) or how to translate it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-15, 17:25

It was discussed in this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1289586

A tree is mature when it can seed. A "pole" is what botanists call young trees that are bigger than a sapling. You can just use "young" or "small" if you don't have a special word for that.

I haven't seen them in the game either. I assume they are for the tool tips in the editor, and these haven't been implemented for immovables yet.

Edited: 2014-03-15, 17:27

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2014-03-19, 20:33

GunChleoc wrote: A tree is mature when it can seed. A "pole" is what botanists call young trees that are bigger than a sapling. You can just use "young" or "small" if you don't have a special word for that.

Hmm, now that I think about it, we may have a word for just that. However, I've decided to leave these untranslated for the time being. Also, I can't use young because that would be understood as sapling.

On another note, I've stumbled upon the "%i Material(s)" strings (in the help window). Considering that some materials are uncountable (and require an additional measure word), it may be a better idea to simply use "%i × Material" to keep the material name intact and short. It would also not be necessary to utilize ngettext that could be a burden for translators. What do you think?

Edited: 2014-03-19, 20:36

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-20, 01:06

I'm on the road right now and don't have the brain space to really think about this. Will be back in April. Please prod me if I forget.

How about adding a "unit" word for mass nouns? I did that in my translation of Wesnoth, instead of "1 Gold", "2 Gold" etc. I use "1 Gold coin", "2 Gold coins" etc.

I am still working on the help files though to get more automated data from the config files into them, so maybe you can leave these strings until later.

If you can compile, you can check out the help files branch here: https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/bug-1074353

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2014-03-21, 19:56

To the prior issue: The speed is now displayed correctly (r6886), but I noticed that there are still the placeholders for the soldiers' abilities in the Barbarian battle arena. When you hover over one of the soldiers, the window becomes bigger and it says AT: %1$u/%2$u etc. I did not check the other training sites.
EDIT: The same thing happens in military buildings, so probably all buildings with soldiers are concerned.

Edited: 2014-03-22, 10:20

Top Quote