Latest Posts

Topic: Big upcoming string changes

GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-02-24, 09:49

We are planning to merge a branch this week that contains huge string fixes. So, I recommend that everybody grabs their current translations from Launchpad and loads them into Virtaal or Poedit, so you will then have everything in your translation memories. After the changes, if you use these programs to edit the files, they will give you suggestions for strings that have small changes in them, so you won't have to translate them again from scratch.

The reasons for these changes are:

• Giving you control over the word order with placeholders
  • Proper plural forms
  • Proofreading of the English strings
  • Improved formatting of campaign scenario texts

The campaign scenarios will be seriously broken, so I recommend that you work with both the old and the new version of the file side by side - some strings have been split into multiple strings. I will help with fixing these in Western European languages. I don't read the other languages well enough to help there though.

I will grab an archive of all translations before the change so they won't be lost, but you will also be able to get your translations from the locale folder in your Wideland installation. You will need Virtaal or Poedit to open those, since they are in binary format.

I will post again in this thread once the chages have gone through.

ETA: For list of terminology changes, click here.

ETA: For a guide on recovering old translations, click here.
Edited: 2014-07-12, 17:02

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-25, 01:20

I am excited at the prospect of being able to contribute to the English strings via Launchpad - it makes it much easier to spend a casual 10 or 15 minutes that way. Will this still be possible?

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-02-25, 06:30

simplypeachy wrote:

I am excited at the prospect of being able to contribute to the English strings via Launchpad - it makes it much easier to spend a casual 10 or 15 minutes that way. Will this still be possible?

yes. this is a one time thing to fix glaring bugs in the way we structured text in widelands. It will break strings in multiple pieces that are only slightly changed to the original. Launchpads translation tool is not clever enough to recognize these strings as similar and offer them as suggestions for the new strings, instead they will require a complete new translation. This is why we do this export - to keep the repeated work needed to a minimum. New strings after that can still be translated on launchpad as before. Though if someone is serious about translating, looking into one of the tools is recommended - they make for a much better workflow.

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-27, 16:00

If I am correct than Virtaal cannot be used under Linux, so I decided to install Poedit under Kubuntu. But, after installing all the prerequisites, it failed to compile. I wonder if anyone has succeeded in installing/compiling Poedit, and if so, which steps are necessary in order to do so, or if we can avoid the use of this software in the first place.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-02-27, 18:02

I use Virtaal in Ubuntu all the time. It's in the Software Center. I don't know about Kubuntu though.

Which language are you translating into? Maybe others could to the part that require fuzzy matching.

I do encourage you to try out these tools though, they are great and have already saved me a lot of time, because they match similar strings that you have translated before. I must have translated the word "Cancel" about 500 times by now face-tongue.png

Edited: 2014-02-27, 18:03

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-27, 21:17

If I am correct than Virtaal cannot be used under Linux, so I decided to install Poedit under Kubuntu. I wonder if anyone has succeeded in installing/compiling Poedit, and if so, which steps are necessary in order to do so,

Not sure where you got the impression Virtaal cannot be used on Linux. Both Poedit and Virtaal are available in the Software Center/repository. You can of course compile it if you really want to, but probably easier to just install the pre-built package.

I use Virtaal in Ubuntu all the time. It's in the Software Center. I don't know about Kubuntu though.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu/GNOME Ubuntu/more(?) all install packages from the same package archive, so it is available. face-smile.png

you will also be able to get your translations from the locale folder in your Wideland installation

This seems to be the .mo files. I tried to open one of them in poedit, but it didn't seem to list any strings. I've only briefly tried poedit before though, so I might be missing something obvious. Do these contain any additional information compared to the .po files, or can they be used instead assuming I take a backup of the somewhere?

Ships!

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-02-27, 21:39

Thanks GunChleoc, I had only found a Windows version. I never use the software center.

sudo apt-get install virtaal

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-02-27, 22:01

This seems to be the .mo files. I tried to open one of them in poedit, but it didn't seem to list any strings. I've only briefly tried poedit before though, so I might be missing something obvious. Do these contain any additional information compared to the .po files, or can they be used instead assuming I take a backup of the somewhere?

The .mo files are binary versions of the .po files, so Widelands can load them faster. Also, they only contain the strings that have already been translated and I expect that comments will be stripped as well, which reduces the file size for partial translations.

Virtaal can read .mo files, so they're fine for checking back for translations that you have already done. I just tested Poedit and it seems like it can't open them, although it will generate them. I just assumed that Poedit would be able to read .mo files as well, sorry about that.

For working on new translations, you need the .po format, so the missing translations show up. I use a combination of the two tools - Virtaal is my main tool for working on the translations, because it comes with a spell checker for my language. I then open and save the file with Poedit, because it will run some useful validation checks when you save a file.

If you are translating into a lesser used language, install this: http://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/virtaal/en/latest/spell_checking.html and see if your language is on the list.

In any case, I will grab a full translation archive for all the languages before the merge, so I can get them to you if you need them. If you know how to use bazaar, you can also grab previous revisions from source. You will find them under the po/ directory there. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/files/head:/po/

Edited: 2014-02-27, 22:08

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2014-03-01, 13:37

GunChleoc wrote:

Virtaal can read .mo files, so they're fine for checking back for translations that you have already done. I just tested Poedit and it seems like it can't open them, although it will generate them. I just assumed that Poedit would be able to read .mo files as well, sorry about that.

No problem. Thanks for your explanation. face-smile.png

In any case, I will grab a full translation archive for all the languages before the merge, so I can get them to you if you need them. If you know how to use bazaar, you can also grab previous revisions from source. You will find them under the po/ directory there. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/files/head:/po/

Should also be roughly equivalent with the contents of po/ packaged in build18 (though some minor changes might have happened since then of course). I'm running bzr so I will personally have access to the historical files, but it sounds useful for others.

Ships!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-03-01, 14:27

Yes, using Build18 as a baseline is a good idea. face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote