Latest Posts

Topic: Portable Widelands?

Saij

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 08:57

Hi,

I'm going to make a PortableApps.com launcher for Widelands so that I can take it on my mobile disk with me every where I go.

So my question now: is this allowed or do you not wish that such a thing exists?

And are there some things in Widelands that make it impossible to make it portable? Things such registry entries or local files (settings for example)?

Greets Saij

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english. I am from Germany (and it is early in the morning ^^)

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 09:45

Saij wrote: So my question now: is this allowed or do you not wish that such a thing exists?

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

And are there some things in Widelands that make it impossible to make it portable? Things such registry entries or local files (settings for example)?

Thanks to SDL, Widelands is already ported to different platforms, even to Microsoft Windows. It should be possible to port Widelands to the platforms that SDL is ported to.

Yes, Widelands saves settings, maps that the user creates, savegames and replays in a subdirectory under the user's home directory (~/.widelands).

Top Quote
Saij

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 10:18

sigra wrote:

Thanks to SDL, Widelands is already ported to different platforms, even to Microsoft Windows. It should be possible to port Widelands to the platforms that SDL is ported to. Yes, Widelands saves settings, maps that the user creates, savegames and replays in a subdirectory under the user's home directory (~/.widelands).

I don't want to port it to another operation system. The only thing I want todo is to make the Windows version portable. Means that I want to put Widelands on my mobile harddrive or USB stick so that I can play it every computer. So the fact that Widelands saves maps and settings in the users homedirectory (under Windows I think it is C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\AppData or am I wrong?) is a bad thing. Is there a possibility to add a commandline parameter to change the directory Widelands saves its data? I could implement it but the best way I think is that some main developers implement it and commit it to svn (so that I can update Portable Widelands if a new version comes out)

Greets Saij

Edited: 2009-08-26, 10:18

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 10:33

Saij wrote: So the fact that Widelands saves maps and settings in the users homedirectory (under Windows I think it is C:\Documents and Settings\<user>!AppData or am I wrong?) is a bad thing. Is there a possibility to add a commandline parameter to change the directory Widelands saves its data?

The relevant part of the code is here. It looks like it would be easy to set the directory with an environment variable (executing "USERPROFILE=somewhere widelands").

Edited: 2009-08-26, 10:34

Top Quote
Saij

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2009-08-26, 10:54

Ah Thank you very much. This helps me very good.

Top Quote
mc

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-03-28, 15:14

Any news about it? Currently I'm very interested in it. face-grin.png

There should be NO tries on local machine.

Top Quote
Dwarik

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-29, 23:31

mc wrote: Any news about it? Currently I'm very interested in it. There should be NO tries on local machine.

it's in lp:~victor-pelt/widelands/homedir test it out. will be merged after build 15 is out though.

Top Quote
grunsus

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-05-30, 09:15

Dwarik wrote:

mc wrote: Any news about it? Currently I'm very interested in it. There should be NO tries on local machine.

Hello all, was there ever a portable version created ? Would be interesting to bring it along to play in other locations then home, without installing on that machine. Like stuff for rainy days :) thnx

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-05-30, 11:28

I think Widelands is portable by default. You can specify another homedir with the --homedir=PATH option when you start the game. So I think there is no problem to start Widelands from an USB stick or external HD.

Top Quote
grunsus

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-05-31, 09:14

Hello Shevonar, so i do understand, that in a Win**** installation, there are no files put into any Directory, other then the one given with the parameter --homedir=PATH? And no modifications made at any point of registry? WOW, that will be wonderfull... regards grunsus

Top Quote