Latest Posts

Topic: New Immovables

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-10-05, 21:56

Yes, there is the widelands media [1] repository that contains all blender files (as well as other art form base files). For someone that knows blender it should be straightforward to get started with this. Blender itself is rather complex though.

[1] https://launchpad.net/widelands-media

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-10-05, 22:03

Btw, I am following this thread and I am amazed at the artwork! Since there is no elder of graphics at this point in time, please ping me when you feel this is done and should be included into the game.

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-10-07, 21:32

Another update:

This time I changed the shadow to better fit the style of the buildings. I also worked on the leaves to look more natural and not "cut" at the end.

Pic:

Screenshots:

Edited: 2013-10-07, 21:33

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-10-07, 22:07

Is the position of the sun the same as for the other trees and for the buildings? It seems that the shadow of the new palm tree is shorter compared to the old one. And concerning the tower in the first image: it looks like its shadow is calculated for a sun position different from both the old and the new palm...

Top Quote
Kiscsirke
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2013-10-08, 13:01

fuchur wrote:

Is the position of the sun the same as for the other trees and for the buildings? It seems that the shadow of the new palm tree is shorter compared to the old one. And concerning the tower in the first image: it looks like its shadow is calculated for a sun position different from both the old and the new palm...

I don't think the old trees were done in 3d/blender. Their source 3D files are not in the widelands media repo anyway. But the buildings are, so you could make it consistent with those at least those. (For example Barbarian buildings here.)

And if it does get into the game, it would be nice if you also uploaded the blender file to the media bzr for later people.

And thanks for the work, it does look great!

Edited: 2013-10-08, 13:02

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-12-26, 19:44

I will have to update this Post due to it weaks actually for visual Data but I can address Issue at least for largest Share literally. I took ArtWork from another OSS-Game, knowing that won't be critical Problem if even anyone exist one from Side of Source, to get special Allowance aside that granted from GPL, and Source claimed to see GPL responsible for Issue of Contribution while I guess they could peeerhaps thought about Community-Utilization to build other Contents for that Game (Campaings,..). However, they spoke clearly differently without Focus on own Game. However, I took their CampFire-Animation, added another Immovable into W-CFG, tried to shrink Size but failed due to missing suited Gear (MS Paint XP can scale but anywhy got Trouble with Layers and break Result resp the partial covered BackGround for Illumination of Fire and Environment.. brief: Crapl), why I was not able to see small CampFire but huge SignalFire but nice animated.

Due to XP that People are often unhappy to see foreign Stuff inside own Product and inverse Way own Stuff utilized in other Products (no Matter if OSS), unable to produce such Quality of ArtWork byself (I would have to subtitle it with CampFire) and Intention not to discuss if we can take that, how we can take that or how we could make it look different to avoid pot Conflicts even pure Rules and Permissions are clear (at all Case we could ask Artist and rather likely he would give special Allowance, ... however) I just talk here about and tell: CampFire looks great inside Scenery of Map and could eg used by Scout when he rest on his Route. Carrier that idle are unsuited for due to their huge Amount and due to they idle half Time and that nice Embellishment would appear boring and useles. Please factor in, even if no CampFire still provided resp utilized we know from own Experience that it is useful when being OutDoors eg to cook Water and Food while remind it provided Heat and Protection against Raptors no Matter if Raptors actually in WL does not mean any Danger to Workers.

That means actually CampFire does not get utilized in WL due to it does not have any. Reversed Claimation that WL does not need CampFire due to it does not utlize it appears something strange as it can not as already explained in first Sentence in this Paragraph. (Sure sounds strange but due to Experience I explain that Matter clearly, nobody have to understand or feel addressed.)

So I can not deliver CampFire-Animation-ArtWork but call for FeedBack and Animation, can do the CFG easily resp CFG is here waiting for Animation according WL's Needs.

From Aspect of Utlization it would look fine when Scout would half Way start to lumber resp utilizes Opportunity when encounter dead Wood without Need to lumber fresh (which would be for real totally useless for present Need of CampFire.. it does simply not burn, well, Script could fix that) ... well... Scout moves its Way, encounter dead Wood and dices to do this Time CampFire and stay outdoors some Minutes more. Think that new Players would like while older could think that Guy should better return to start next Expedition quicker.

I would eg also like to see CampFire close to HQ resp to Military Sites aiming for visual Meaning to stress DefenseAbility while that Fire offers Opportunity for strategic Utilization when Defender could that Way change Environment to decrease Advantage for Attacker resp increase his DisAdvantage when this Action causes Attacker either to attack lesser effective (have to attack with lesser Units simultanly) or got additional Damage from Fire. I don't see a Lot Trouble to implement FireDamage to Units but BattleConcept appears to me unsuited to integer such Effects and it would require Kind of new Behavior for Units to factor in CampFire. Would CampFire treated as Kind of inpassable Obstacle like Site it would effect little. If not Units ignore Fire it looks stupid if Attacker or Defender steps into Fire to start Duel with Opponent and Situtaions where Units change their Position in Duel technically. I don't think here about Animation-Issues but Kind of Idea of Soldier to move NW to attack from that Side to gain any Advantage from new Position resp another Soldier gets forced to either withdraw from Attackers WeaponStrike and thus gets into new Postion eg close enough to CampFire to get somewhat toasted and Idea to get away from resp to Location with more Advantage. In that rendered Context CampFire offers Opportunity to enforce Defense if used smartly. Plain Behavior like Soldiers never can move to or worser always moves to would appear stupid to Players.

However, here I think for first about Embellishment of Scenery and could think to use it in MapEditor to stress a Location or place it at Mountain's Tip as Signal for SeaFarers (wait... they can actually not see beyond CoastLine resp farer than single ShipLength). Vision-Model resp Sight-Model in WL is still rather plain, IIRC Unit can look behind tallest Mountains as long as BackSide is close enough. However, I remind Kind of invisible Fog-Clearer-Unit or Thingy to clear Fog at their Location. CampFire could work same Way without being invisible. In Context of Ships with act short ranged Vision these CampFires could be Meaning for MapDesigner, that there is something special including clear Indicator for Presence of Humans. Brief Point here is I look out for Ways of Utlization for CampFire due to even if it looks fine it require IMO Kind of Explanation why CampFire eg burns on Ocean or in the Mountains when no Idea exist how that could ever happen. I stop here with more Examples for Util and conclude with that CampFire due to its Nature is well suited as Meaning to express or indicate special Situations or Happenings and helps to render a Story. Where is CampFire-Animation? You don't want me make own! MS Paint ready and waiting! face-wink.png

See my Artwork at: http://www.image-hoster.de/preview.php?file=5293e5e6d31948d164a464918.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-13, 00:14

It's a nearly one year old thread.... but:

• a shipwreck would be great
  • something like Stonehenge
  • maya related stuff, like pyramids
  • extraterrestrical, like a flying saucer which has crashed

I am not experienced in blender... but if i could, i would do something like this ....

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-05, 02:44

kaputtnik wrote:

It's a nearly one year old thread.... but:

• a shipwreck would be great
  • something like Stonehenge
  • maya related stuff, like pyramids
  • extraterrestrical, like a flying saucer which has crashed

I am not experienced in blender... but if i could, i would do something like this ....

The thread is indeed an old one. face-grin.png

I'm once again active with WL, though not as elder, just older. face-smile.png

I've read through the posts to refresh my memory and catch up with the discussions. There have been a lot of great ideas submitted here and I'd like to see some action to get them in the game. Let me recap (again) the ideas that have been suggested to date:

• Plants near water bodies
  • Hints at a previous culture
  • slabs of an ancient road
  • half-ruined archway
  • a single standing column
  • fallen and broken columns
  • pieces of masonry
  • Mountains (for large impassable areas)
  • Volcanoes
  • animated bubbling mudhole (Blackland)
  • geyser (Blackland, Greenland)
  • steaming hot springs
  • Rivers
  • boulders in rivers that show some water current
  • moving water, rapids
  • fish jumping out of water
  • Whirlpool in water
  • waterfalls
  • bushes, brambles, bracken in irregular shapes and animated for growth and movement (like trees)
  • Unminable rocks (all worlds) Astuur did some very fine work, but there is room and support for more now.
  • big old unfellable tree, with a bird's nest (all worlds)
  • anthill (Greenland)
  • foxhole (Greenland)
  • molehill (Greenland)
  • crevasses of variable length (Winterland, Desert?)
  • pit full of snakes (Desert)
  • flowers (individual and in patches)
  • bushes (animated for growth and/or movement)
  • trees (to get Blender 3D models for existing and/or new species)
  • shipwreck
  • relics from past civilizations like Mayans or earlier works of the existing tribes (see the second bullet above)
  • evidence of extraterrestrials? face-smile.png

I don't want to lose track of these ideas, so I'm going to submit one or more Bug reports to keep them fresh and manageable.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-05, 05:30

Bug reports related to the items referenced so far in this forum thread:

I see little people.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-05, 18:46

Thanks for keeping the ideas together face-smile.png

chuckw wrote:

I tried me in making a river... I implementd this as immovable, but the result is not satisfying. If the terrainheight increases the patterns do not more stick together.

Heres a screenshot:

river1

It is much work to place such a river on the map... each piece has to be selected and placed.

Trying to make the river as terraintype do not work too, because of the dithering. Maybe it works as terraintype if we could get an option "no dithering" (e.g. "dither_layer = -1")?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote